...with These Twists on Your Traditional Favorites
Are you tired of the same old recipes every Thanksgiving? Surprise your guests by creating unique dishes that are similar, yet so very different, from the traditional dishes you usually prepare. Here are a few recipes your favorite Lake of the Ozarks resort gathered that put a little twist on your favorite Thanksgiving dishes:
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread, cubed
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 Tbsp coarsely chopped fresh sage
- 1 can peach halves in heavy syrup, drained (reserve the syrup)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Arrange bread in a single layer on baking sheet, let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. (Or you can bake the bread at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes to dry it out, but not brown it.)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in herbs, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the bread and toss to combine.
- Whisk peach syrup into the orange juice concentrate, then add to the bread mixture with the peaches.
- Spoon the stuffing into a buttered 9x13 baking dish, cover with parchment paper, then foile, and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover the dish, and bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Chipotle and Coca-Cola Braised Sweet PotatoesSource: AlwaysOrderDessert.com
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 2 Tbsp adobo sauce from the same can
- 4 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes and slice into 1-inch thick slices (no need to peel). Arrange in a baking dish or roasting pan with at least 2-inch sides.
- In a blender, combine coca-cola, garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Puree until smooth, for about 1 minute. Then pour mixture over the sweet potatoes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Top off with pats of butter. Then cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil, then bake an additional 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve as is or with some extra toppings such as grapes and greek yogurt, or spinach, bacon and pecans.
- 1 - 12 oz bag of cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, apple juice and bourbon.
- Simmer, stirring occassionally, until the cranberries begin to burst and the sauce thickens, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
Happy Thanksgiving from Summerset Inn Resort! We hope you have a wonderful time spent with family and friends. Speaking of time spent together, have you thought about your summer vacation plans yet? It's never too early to start booking your rooms at the best waterfront resort at the Lake of the Ozarks for the 2018 season! With the holidays approaching, summer will be back before you know it!
Summerset Inn Resort & Villas
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
-Keep up with local news, events and resort information by following us!!