One of the most popular things to grill is a hamburger! Instead of your typical mustard, ketchup, pickle, onion, lettuce and tomato for toppings this year, try one of these unique hamburger topping ideas:
- Sweet & Spicy Burgers - Top your burgers with a pineapple-jalapeno salsa! Just combine one cup of chunked pineapple (fresh or canned) with 1/2 a jalapeno finely chopped, fresh lime juice, salt & pepper to taste!
- Teriyaki Burgers - Brush your burgers with teriyaki sauce while you're cooking them. Once they're grilled, brush on some extra sauce and top with thinly sliced scallions and finely shredded green cabbage. Finish off the combination by spreading Japanese-style mayo on the buns.
- Cajun Burgers - Mix small cubes of andouille sausage with the beef before forming patties to grill. Create a remoulade sauce by combining mayo, ketchup, hot sauce, mustard, parsley, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, horseradish and garlic. Top your grilled burgers with the remoulade, grilled peppers and onions, thinly sliced celery and blue cheese crumbles!
The other popular entree to throw on the grill is hotdogs! While a hotdog with ketchup may be the kids' favorite, the adults may want to try one of these interesting options:
- BLT Hotdogs - Combine two amazing classics: your grilled hot dog with a BLT! Top your dog with crispy bacon crumbles, fresh tomato chunks and crunchy lettuce, dressed with a creamy mayo or ranch sauce.
- Cheddar Apple Hotdogs - Saute up some apples with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Place your grilled hotdogs in pretzel buns and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese, followed by the caramelized apples!
- Pizza Dog - Add an Italian flair to your hotdog by topping it with marinara sauce, melted fresh mozzerella and fresh basil.
Grilled corn on the cob is a great option for a 4th of July side dish! Try one of these twists for a unique flavor at your BBQ this weekend:
- Mexican Style Corn - Sprinkle your grilled corn with crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese and cayenne pepper. Serve with lime wedges!
- Lemon-Garlic Glazed Corn - Create the lemon-garlic glaze by combining butter, olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper in a small pan. Pour your glaze over the grilled corn and serve!
- Peppered Corn - Rub garlic butter over your corn on the cob, wrap the corn with bacon slices, securing it with a toothpick. Once grilled, top it with some sauteed minced jalapeno peppers.
While some people will enjoy a simple juicy slice of watermelon, others may find one of these watermelon recipes intriguing:
- Watermelon & Arugula Salad - Toss cubed watermelon with some red onion and arugula, using a mixture of orange juice, lime juice and raspberry vinegar for the dressing. Top with shredded ricotta salata and walnuts!
- Grilled Watermelon with Yogurt Sauce - Cut the watermelon in triangles, drizzle with olive oil and place on the grill until nicely charred, about 1 minute per side. Mix greek yogurt with lemon juice, white wine vinegar, thyme and olive oil to create a nice yogurt sauce to dollop on top of the grilled watermelon. Lastly, top it with a small mint leaf.
- Watermelon Skewers - Toss cherry tomatoes, cubed watermelon and feta cheese in the marinade. Cover and chill for an hour. Then thread the skewers alternating tomato, watermelon, feta. Drizzle with remaining marinade. Either serve immediately or throw on the grill for a minute to give it some extra flavor (be careful not to let the cheese cook off.)
Summerset Inn Resort hopes you have an amazing 4th of July Weekend! Whether you're spending it at home or here with us at the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks, we hope you enjoy some of these recipes at your holiday parties this weekend. If you're wanting to take a vacation soon, give our Lake of the Ozarks resort a call at 573-348-5073 to make your reservations! We hope to see you soon!
Summerset Inn Resort & Villas
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
-Keep up with local news, events and resort information by following us!!