FUN FACTS ABOUT FATHER'S DAY
2. According to the Greeting Card Association, Father's Day is the fourth-biggest day for sending greeting cards, after Christmas, Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. 72 million cards are given each year.
3. More than 1/3 of Father's Day cards are funny in nature.
4. Father's Day is the busiest day of the year for phone calls, even over Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.
5. Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June in over 50 countries around the world.
6. In Germany, Father's Day is celebrated by men hiking with hand-pulled wagons filled with beer.
7. Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, is credited with starting Father's Day after hearing a sermon on Mother's Day. She wanted to honor her father who raised 6 children on his own.
8. The first Father's Day celebration was said to be on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington.
9. Many attempts to make Father's Day an official holiday were shot down, as it was viewed as another commercialized holiday scam to boost sales. Many fathers felt that the holiday was emasculating, and some disliked the idea of children showering their fathers with presents likely bought with the father's own money.
10. In 1966, Lyndon Johnson finally made an official proclamation that Father's Day would be recognized on the third Sunday of June.
11. It wasn't until 1972 though, that President Nixon finally signed it into law and Father's Day became a permanent national holiday in the United States.
13. Hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers are also at the top of the list of most popular Father's Day gifts in the United States.
14. Female shoppers spend roughly 50% more than men on gifts for their dad.
15. There are now more than 214,000 stay-at-home dads.
Happy Father's Day from Summerset Inn Resort! If you're looking for something fun to do with dad this summer, bring him to the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. There are so many family-fun activities happening all season long that you can participate in with dear old dad. Book your reservations at the best waterfront resort at the Lake of the Ozarks today by calling 573-348-5073!
Summerset Inn Resort & Villas
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
-Keep up with local news, events and resort information by following us!!