Labor Day Fun Facts
1. Most people think of Labor Day as an American holiday, but it actually has origins in Canada.
2. In 1882, 10,000 workers marched in New York City in what was considered to be the first Labor Day parade.
3. Oregon was the first state to make Labor Day a holiday in 1887.
5. The beginning of September was chosen for the holiday to break up the time between the 4th of July and Thanksgiving.
6. Americans worked 12-hour days, 7 days a week during the 19th century.
7. On September 3, 1916, the Adamson Act was passed to establish an 8-hour work day.
8. In the late 1800s, children as young as 5-6 years old worked in factories and mines.
9. Football season starts on or around Labor Day, and many teams will play their first game this weekend.
10. Labor Day is the 3rd most popular holiday for barbequeing after 4th of July and Memorial Day.
11. Labor Day is the official end to hotdog season, which begins Memorial Day.
12. Labor Day Weekend is the most dangerous weekend to travel on U.S. highways, due to teens and young adults seeing it as the last weekend to party before going back to school.
Happy Labor Day Weekend from your favorite resort at the Lake of the Ozarks! Just because the summer season is coming to a close, doesn't mean you can't still take a weekend trip to the Lake! Our resort will continue to be open through the beginning of fall, so book your reservations with Summerset Inn today - call 573-348-5073! From one bedroom options up to five bedrooms, we've got accommodations to fit everyone's needs. Plus, we're located right in the heart of Osage Beach, so you're just minutes from everything like shopping, dining, golf and more!
Summerset Inn Resort & Villas
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
Keep up with local news, events and product information by Following us!!