1. The first Mother's Day was observed on May 10, 1908. The holiday was founded by Anna Jarvis and made a national holiday in 1914 by President Wilson.
2. Due to the fact that 68% of people plan to call Mom on Mother's Day, it's the busiest phone day of the year. Around 122.5 million phone calls are made each Mother's Day.
3. Mrs. Vassilyev of Russia holds the record for the most kids, having given birth to 69 children between 1725 and 1765.
4. The record for the oldest mother to give birth belongs to Rosanna Dalla Corte, who gave birth to a baby boy in 1994 in Italy at the age of 63.
5. August is the most popular month for giving birth, and the most popular day of the week to give birth is on Tuesday.
6. Mother's Day is the third most popular holiday, after Christmas and then Easter. It is also the third biggest day of the year for sending cards.
7. Approximately one quarter of all the flowers purchased throughout the year are bought on Mother's Day.
8. Carnations are the most popular Mother's Day flowers. Red and pink ones are given to mother's that are still alive, while the white ones are for those who have passed away.
9. In the vast majority of languages around the world, the word for "mother" begins with the letter "M."
10. In what was formerly Yugoslavia, children would tie up their mother on Mother's Day and the only way she could get free would be to pay her children with treats.
11. According to moms, the one gift they love the most for Mother's Day is some alone time.
12. In the United States, the amount of money spent on Mother's Day is approximately $14 billion.
13. Mother's Day is celebrated in close to 50 different countries around the world.
14. In it's early days, people observed Mother's Day by going to church and writing letters to their mothers. Eventually, sending cards and giving gifts and flowers were added to the tradition.
15. More people purchase fresh flowers and plants for Mother's Day than for any other holiday, except Christmas/Hanukkah.
Take some time out of your busy schedules to recognize your mom this weekend. Show her how much you care with a nice meal out and share these fun trivia facts you've learned with her. Happy Mother's Day from Summerset Inn Resort, where great friends make great memories!
Summerset Inn Resort & Villas
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
Keep up with local news, events and product information by Following us!!