Throughout the recorded history of civilization, there's always been something special about leaving the confines of your home to enjoy a meal outdoors. When summer finally rolls around, we're eager to get outside after being cooped up indoors all winter long. The word "picnic" is thought to have first been used by Tony Willis in 1692. From a simple family gathering to a peaceful protest in the Pan-European Picnic, picnics have been used for a variety of things throughout the centuries. Fun Fact: The most notable, and largest, picnic ever held celebrated the millennium’s first Bastille Day in 2000, and it spanned 600 miles, crossing France from coast to coast.
Perfect Picnic TipsWhether you're packing food into a picnic basket or cooking up some food on the grill, a picnic is best shared with family and friends. When planning your picnic, keep the following tips in mind for a successful meal outdoors that everyone will enjoy.
- Keep It Simple - When eating outdoors, you don't need to get too fancy with the food. Keep things simple so it's easy to carry to your picnic spot.
- Avoid Fragile Items - Ice cream, sticky puddings, pies and cakes are best left for indoor parties. Consider cookies and watermelon for dessert, as they are easier to carry and to eat.
- Forget About Courses - It's a picnic. Throw all the food on the picnic table or blanket and let everyone dig in.
- Keep Food Cool - Use a cooler to keep foods the proper temperature until they are ready to cook or consume. You want to avoid any risk of food poisoning.
- Bring Cleanup Supplies - Don't forget to bring a garbage bag and paper towels to clean up after your picnic.
- Use the Grill Properly - There's nothing like the taste of a burger fresh off a charcoal grill. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time for it to heat up before you prepare the food.
- Keep the Bugs Away - The only bad thing about picnics is the bugs! Be sure to keep your food and drinks covered, and bring some bug spray and citronella candles to keep the bugs at bay.
Picnics at Summerset Inn Resort
There's no better place to enjoy a picnic than by the water's edge. At our waterfront resort at the Lake of the Ozarks, we offer a BBQ area that's great for gathering with family and friends. Take in the views of the Lake while you throw some food on the grill, and then enjoy it at one of our picnic tables! You might even make some new friends in fellow guests staying at the resort.
If you don't already have plans to stay with us this summer, book your reservations at our Lake of the Ozarks resort today by calling 573-348-5073. From a relaxing family gathering by the water to a day on the Lake, Summerset Inn Resort is the perfect place to stay for your summer vacation. It's central location puts you just minutes from shopping, golf and other area attractions. Come join us for a summer of fun!
Summerset Inn Resort & Villas
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
-Keep up with local news, events and resort information by following us!!